The hip is one of the largest and strongest weight-bearing joints of the body. The hip joint refers to the ball and socket synovial joint surrounded by muscles, ligaments, and tendons. This joint articulates the head of the femur with the pelvic acetabulum. As a result, the hip is able to bear weight and perform various motions due to its strength and flexibility.
When hip pain occurs, there is a detrimental effect on the range of motion and capacity to bear weight of the joints that need immediate hip pain treatment. The most common causes of hip pain include structural abnormalities, injuries, chronic diseases, or infections.
Injuries, genetics, lifestyle, and age all play a role in causing hip problems. Some of the most common hip conditions include:
– Hip bursitis is an inflammation of the bursa, a fluid-filled sac located near the joint at the greater trochanter of the hip. A bursa that becomes irritated or inflamed can result in hip pain. Depending on the location and severity, hip bursitis can cause sharp, shooting pains or a dull ache. Affected joints may become painful and tender, swell up in the affected area, and develop a lot of pain while walking or climbing stairs.
– Injuries to the ball and socket hip joint caused by repetitive microtrauma can result in hip stress fractures. Athletes like distance runners who sustain heavy, repeated leg impacts are prone to this condition. A hip stress fracture can lead to sharp pain in the hip, groin, or front of the thighs when standing or moving, as well as continuous pain while performing strenuous activity.
– Hip fractures occur when the upper part of the thigh bone (femur) breaks, usually due to a sudden fall or accident. This condition is common among older people due to a weakening of their bones (osteoporosis). Hip fractures can cause significant pain in the hip or groin, decreased mobility, and bruising and swelling in the hip area.
– Avascular necrosis (AVN), also known as osteonecrosis, is the cellular death of bone tissue caused by the absence of blood supply. In the absence of blood supply, the bone tissues die and collapse, whereas if this occurs near a joint, the joint surface may also collapse. Avascular necrosis is characterized by mild to severe joint pain, groin pain, and limited mobility.
– Hip osteoarthritis is a type of degenerative joint disease that is the most common form of arthritis of the hip. Age-related wear and tear typically cause this condition, which worsens over time. When cartilage breaks down, it causes pain and inflammation, affecting an individual's daily activities. A person with hip osteoarthritis will experience limited range of motion, joint stiffness, and high-level pain in their hips, groin, legs, or lower back.
Hip injury treatments in Singapore vary according to the severity of pain and the type of condition. The RICE method and the use of anti-inflammatory medications can initially help to alleviate mild hip pain. In more severe cases, surgery may be needed. A specialist skilled in hip conditions in Singapore may recommend the following surgical procedures:
– A total hip replacement or total hip arthroplasty is one form of hip pain treatment in Singapore wherein the hip bones are replaced with implants (prostheses). During this procedure, the socket is replaced with a durable plastic cup that may include a titanium metal shell, while the femoral head will be removed and replaced with a ball made from ceramic or a metal alloy to allow for easy movement without hip pain.
– Revision hip replacement is another form of hip pain treatment that corrects problems with artificial hip joints that have developed over time due to infection or normal wear and tear. In this procedure, the previous prostheses, cement, surrounding tissues, and dead bones are removed. The purpose is to render the artificial joint functional and in good shape again.
– Complex hip reconstruction is a surgical procedure that is used to treat hip structures with complicated fractures or traumatic injuries, deformities, structural problems, and degenerative diseases such as arthritis. The procedures may include hip resurfacing, hip osteotomies, or hip arthroscopies that aim to reduce pain and stiffness as well as improve mobility and function of the hip joint.
– A robotic-assisted hip replacement procedure is a type of surgery that combines the skills of surgeons with advanced robotic systems in order to achieve a more precise total hip replacement and quicker recovery.
The hip joint is an important weight-bearing joint in the human body that provides both stability and mobility. Having a damaged hip joint can have a big negative impact on our quality of life. Therefore, seeking the assistance of a medical professional or a specialist in hip conditions is essential as a means of addressing the hip condition and providing treatment.
The International Orthopaedic Clinic in Singapore offers comprehensive procedures that treat a wide range of hip conditions, with the goal of returning patients to their normal daily lives. To learn more about our clinic and services, call 6253 7111.